Monday, October 12, 2009

Tutorial: Pot Holder

This is very easy. It took me about an hour to make this. Whenever I have bought pot holders, my biggest problem is that they are just not big enough. This makes it hard to grasp the hot plate or pot. I am always afraid I am going to burn something. I decided to make one so that it is big enough to grab with lots of fabric covering your hand. Sure, you could use a mit, but it does take a lot longer to get those on, plus you can put the hot pot or plate on top of the pot holder. It works out great!

Photobucket

To be Honest, I don't know the dimensions of this pot holder, so I just eyeballed the length that I wanted it. Get some batting, I doubled this one to give it more thickness and stability.


Photobucket
Now cut out your fabric. I like this one a lot, but I wanted a contrasting color, so I used a yellow on the other side.


Photobucket

You are going to start pinning it all around. I like to have a ribbon hook on just in case I want to hang it up.

Photobucket

Like So...

Photobucket

Now pin all around ....
then the fun part. SEWING!

Photobucket

Got it all sewn. I like to sew down the center a few times to give it more strength. It gives it a nicer look.


Photobucket


Photobucket

27 comments:

Allison said...

That's so inventive and adorable! I might just have to make one myself.. I'll cross my fingers and see if I'm talented enough. :D

Cute cute blog!

Julie @ Belle Maison said...

hi diana! thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog :) i really appreciate it! i've added you to my blog roll.

Meredith said...

thanks for checking out my blog! yours is so cute! I'm totally into these pot holders, great idea. i gotta make some!!

Leah said...

I so want to make this! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Diana,
You won the stencil giveaway from Cutting Edge Stencils that you entered on Three Men and a Lady! Go here: http://windhula.blogspot.com/2010/07/cutting-edge-stencil-winner.html

Unknown said...

I need to make like, a billion of these. I'm so hard on my pot holders!

Amy V said...

Cool project! Would make great Christmas presents :)

Love Sugar Design said...

It really came out so nice (and stylish).

I really have to learn how to sew. My grannies (seamstresses) would be so disappointed in my lack of skills. :)

Amy said...

What a nice idea! I've never seen such classy pot holders! :)
Love the blog!

Jocelyn said...

Very cute! Looks easy and useful.

Natalie said...

In love with this! Adorable!

beautyparler said...

I want a sewing machine now:)

Unknown said...

love your style & creativity. i am really looking forward to visiting again!

cheers.

mj said...

so cute. i want to make one.

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

This is so super cute! LOVE the fabric you used! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog girl and for the great tutorial!

MEET VIRGINIA DESIGN

Veronika Novotny said...

Hello! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog and great to find yours, it's adorable! I am loving all of your crafty ideas, especially love that gorg, message board, will have to try for my "home office". xx veronika

lindsey lowe said...

thanks for commenting on my blog. i love yours! i am jealous... i wouldl love to know how to sew!

blueeyedfreckle said...

cute potholder! I've been wanting to make some myself! Oh and thank you for always writing nice comments on my blog. makes my day when I see a comment! haha. love your blog:)

20 YORK STREET said...

Aww, I wish I have that kind of talent! That's so pretty!

besos,

ML

Join the Easiest Blog Project Ever at:

Twenty York Street

Francesca said...

oh this is cool! what a great idea :)

http://opinionslave.blogspot.com x

Unknown said...

Oh, this pot holder is so cute! I'll have to try to make my own sometime :)

Christina R. Griffith said...

Hi Diana,

I am glad you signed up for Pay It Forward 2011! I just need youto email me your shipping info at cookielouisepleaze@live.com so I can send you some homemade goodness!

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Such a lovely project!
Love the paisley print too!

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

Wow, this is adorable! You have the cutest projects.

pc said...

i think i'll make this since i have some remnant fabric and polyester cotton:). thanks for sharing!
love this site, will be a good guide for me to work on sewing. i'm novice btw:p.

Heidi said...

Oooh that's so pretty! I just learned how to turn on my sewing machine & thread it! this looks like something I should try!

Heather & Justin said...

wow! what a genius idea! you are so crafty and cute! I love the fabric!!!

-Heather from lifeofapasseri.blogspot.com